Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 159 - June 7

It was a big day here in the Dorval household.

Michaela made the move from her crib to her big girl bed.

Yikes.

I hadn't intended to do this until well after the baby comes. Yes, we'll need the crib for the baby, but not for quite a while (s/he will be either in our room or at least not in M's room until some kind of sleeping pattern is established so as not to disturb toddler sleep), so I figured we'd leave M in her crib for as long as we possibly could. Yes, my almost-3-yr-old was still in her full-on crib because she never figured out to try to climb out of it.

Anyway, while on vacation, she slept on a toddler-sized air mattress and really thought that was the coolest thing in the world. She loved being able to get into bed on her own, and, miraculously, stayed in the bed in the morning, calling for us to get her.

In need of storage for baby things, we figured we'd get the bed (it's a captain's bed, so M's clothes are now in it, leaving the dresser empty for baby stuff), knowing full-well that once it was here, she'd want to sleep in it. It showed up yesterday and Jason got it put together this afternoon, so tonight was the night.

The picture was taken as she was testing it out, before we put the safety rail on it and before it was cluttered up with all her "guys," but she was pretty excited to get the chance to finally sleep in her big girl bed!

I, on the other hand, am sad. My little girl is growing up entirely too quickly for my taste. And even though I get to do all the baby stuff all over again, there's just something so bittersweet about these milestones. And she, of course, made it harder on me by telling me she didn't need us to do rock-a-bye (one of us would hold her like a baby in our arms and sing rock-a-bye and then lay her in her crib), and instead just crawled into bed like the almost-3-yr-old she is.

Sniff.


2 comments:

  1. She is growing up so fast! Look at that smile!!! I remember how hard it was to put the kids in their big kid beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm sniffing too. My big 3yo is still in her crib and she may stay there until she demands out. Beware the second seems to grow up even faster. And my third is breaking my heart already, I guess it's knowing that he will likely be my last but even as I encourage him to sit up and roll over I'm sad to loose that cute little infant.

    ReplyDelete