Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 278 - October 4

This week, a friend of mine posted a link to a story on Huffington Post about moms getting into the family's photographs. (You can read it here.)

It hit home for me.

As the photographer in the family (good grief, Jason is just BAD at using my fancy camera.... sorry, honey, it's true...), I am almost always behind the camera and hardly ever in front of it. Some of that is purely logistics, but it's also because I just don't like how I look in pictures. I always find something wrong with myself - hair out of place, belly sticking out a little too much, a double chin that doesn't actually exist in real life, a blemish, etc. I think every woman in the world, even supermodels, can relate to that.

But the thing is, what the author of the article said is true... our kids don't care that we don't look perfect in the pictures. They don't care if we're carrying a little extra weight. They don't care if we were having a bad hair day. They just see the whole picture, not the little nit-picky things that aren't perfect. Where I see an unattractive belly roll in the picture of me sitting on the couch reading with Michaela, she'll see that I sat and read with her. Where I see the dark circles that come with no sleep in that picture of me cuddling with Cate, she'll see that I cuddled her.

I need to remind myself of that. And I need to get in front of the camera - even if it's just my own camera, on my phone, held out at arms' length (and I have to say I love the person who invented the camera flipping thing for the iPhone!). There aren't that many pictures of me in general, and even less of me with my girls. I'm going to change that.

And I started today.

(And Cate was not impressed with my desire to take a picture.)


No comments:

Post a Comment