Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 191 - July 9

It hit me about 3/4 of the way through the day.... two years ago today I was having my Change of Command ceremony and getting ready to leave the Coast Guard. I'd say it was my last day, but I continued to get paid until August 15th that year, courtesy of leave time saved up.

But it was the last day I put on a uniform, and the last day I officially did any kind of work for the Coast Guard (or any work of the outside-the-house variety at all, actually!).

I seriously cannot believe that two years have gone by already. Somedays it feels like I left yesterday and somedays it feels like my life in the Coast Guard was a whole different life, a whole lifetime ago. Don't you think the same can be said of almost any major change in life?

The funny thing about it being a full two years, and the fact that I never put on a uniform after we moved here to Mobile, is that there is still a name tag and a set of shoulder boards sitting in a decorative wooden bowl in our spare room. And they aren't Jason's. In my defense, that room sort of has a military-ish theme to it, so I'll just say they're part of the decor. Yeah, that.


No comments:

Post a Comment