Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 55 - February 24

I may have mentioned this before, maybe sometime last year (or maybe earlier this year), but, although I've been thoroughly enjoying getting better at taking pictures of people (and Michaela certainly gives me enough fodder for that), I actually prefer to take pictures of stuff.

When we were in Kodiak, the "stuff" was the never-ending supply of gorgeous-ness (yes, that's a word) around us. There were few hikes that we took, especially in the first year there, that my camera bag did not come with us. I took pictures of mountains and fallen trees and soaring eagles and lounging sea lions and everything else you can imagine! There was just so much gorgeous scenery!

Even before Kodiak, though, from the day I opened the box of my first DSLR camera, flowers were the thing I tried to capture the most (I have mentioned this before.... on day 2 of this year). I even faithfully went outside nearly every day for about a month after I got my camera to capture a rhododendron bloom flowering in the front of our house in Massachusetts.

So when new flowers appear, it's nearly impossible for me to leave them to themselves without trying to capture at least a few images. Yesterday, I saw that our irises are starting to bloom in the front of the house, so I knew I HAD to get pictures. It was so windy, yesterday, though, that I couldn't get a picture without my hand in it, holding a bloom steady. So I waited until today.

And I'm so glad I did! I had three new blooms to capture AND the rain we had earlier in the day was still on the petals, giving me some cool water drops to include in the pictures!

Meanwhile, I was also excited to see what kind of irises we had. They were planted in late summer last year, well past their blooming time here (though February is early.... we've had such a warm winter!), so I had no idea what they were going to look like. I'm a little disappointed they aren't full purple since I totally miss the purple irises of Kodiak, but it's hard to be too disappointed when white ones look like these!


No comments:

Post a Comment