Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 60 - February 29

Getting to more of the reason for my need to catch-up on yesterday's post....

As many have probably heard, a CG helicopter crashed here off Mobile last night. It was an HH-65, the smaller (compared to what Jason flies) orange helicopters in the CG fleet. The crew was out over the bay doing normal training and something went terribly wrong. As of this writing, one crew member has been declared dead (the rescue swimmer) and the other three are still missing. Search efforts continue.

As you can imagine, this hits pretty damn close to home. Not just literally in that it happened out of the same base where Jason works; but also figuratively, in that the CG family is small and the aviation community is even smaller. So any loss is felt keenly and, unfortunately, reminds me all too much how dangerous Jason's job can be. I am eternally grateful that he is ok, but devastated by what our CG family - and especially the families of the crew - has gone through over the past 28 hours or so.

One thing struck me today, though, as I fought back tears through most of the day (and let them flow at other times). I was struck by the fact that having a toddler in the house at a time like this is such a blessing. Even when my heart was so heavy, she made me laugh more than a few times throughout the day, and it was just what I needed.

I snapped this while we were out for a quick walk this afternoon. The sun broke through the clouds for a few minutes and Michaela used the opportunity to wear her new "Rock Star" glasses. She was rockin' 'em and she cracked me up running around the house wearing them right before we headed out. It helped that she's wearing a shirt that says "Rock like a princess" in silver glitter (yes, the same shirt as yesterday... she only wore it for a few hours yesterday so I put it back on her today!). Kid loves her sunglasses!


No comments:

Post a Comment