Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3 - January 3

I make no bones about being a shameless supporter of breastfeeding moms, and breastfeeding in general. Part of my support of breastfeeding moms is just to normalize breastfeeding so that nursing moms don't feel like they have to hide in a corner or something when it's time to feed their babies. I know it can make some people squeamish, but the fact of the matter is that part of what makes humans mammalian is the ability to produce milk. It shouldn't be weird that women actually use their bodies to feed babies. It just shouldn't.

I want my children to know that nursing a baby is normal and not a weird way to feed a baby. If they choose not to do it one day, that's fine, but I want them to at least be exposed to it and know that it's not weird or dirty or something to be hidden.

I nursed Michaela until she was just shy of 22 months old, and I'm hoping to go a bit longer than that with Cate. All things nursing are a big part of my life and my house as long as there's a baby in it.

Michaela is picking up on that, and that makes me so happy!

And it also cracks me up when it's such obvious mimicry of what she sees me doing. This morning, she told me she needed to feed her baby. So she grabbed her doll (the one named Cate, incidentally) and the Boppy. But then she put the Boppy down and I heard, "Oh, wait, I need to find my phone. Where's my phone?" I almost fell over laughing because I never nurse Cate without my phone right next to me. I use it to track feedings and to keep me occupied while she eats.

Sadly, her phone wasn't charged (she uses one of our old iPhones to play games), so she couldn't use that, but she did grab the Boppy and get comfy on the floor to feed her baby and watch a little TV.

Such a copycat!


1 comment:

  1. I love it, I really do. I know a lot of people who would freak out if I posted a picture of my kids mimicing this behavior, but I am in your camp on this one. It's good for M to know that this is what her body will be able to do someday. And she won't think it's gross or weird like lots of grown-ups do.

    It's different with boys though. Jeremy asks me lots of questions about nursing and understands it's something only moms can do; but Jesse sometimes copies my actions (with his Elmo doll, LOL). He doesn't get it quite yet, but I will have to break it to him some time.

    I think it's wonderful that you are working to keep it normal for your children and your household. One of these days when you eventually have some time to yourself you really should be a lactation consultant and share your wealth of knowledge and support.

    ReplyDelete