Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 27 - January 27

In the interest of full disclosure, I did not take this picture on January 27th. I DID take a picture of our new bookcase, but it was boring and plain and just in our garage, so I took a different one tonight (the 28th) and I'm using that instead.

So Jason built this bookcase. I've been searching for the perfect bookcase for the girls' room for weeks. We've had all the books on the bed in our spare room for awhile now because Michaela figured out she could pull the books off the shelves over her bed and "read" after she's supposed to be in bed, and we were afraid she'd pull them all down on her head.

I couldn't find a bookcase I liked, though. I wanted tall shelves to handle big kid's books. I wanted some toy storage since we had to move a piece of furniture that had storage in it to fit the books. I wanted it to only be about 24 inches wide because of where we had to put it. I wanted a closed bookcase so I could still put her grill on top of it. And I didn't want cheesy wood veneer or yet another color of finish since we already have dark wood beds and a light colored storage cube set.

Armed with my very rough drawing, Jason put together real measurements, figured out what materials to use, built it all in an afternoon, and then sanded and painted it over the last couple night. The best part is that it's exactly what I wanted. But along with that, it cost about an eighth of the price of anything that even came close to what I wanted in my online search.

Here's the finished product!

And now I need to figure out what to do with empty shelves over her bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment