Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day 354 - December 19

I was feeling bad about taking Cate's 5 month pictures a day late until I looked back at the blog from last month and realized I was 2 days late last month. So I'm getting better! Maybe next month, I'll be on time.

I didn't get to actually getting the pictures up until tonight, though (2 days late), because I wanted to take the time to do another Cate world recap. So here goes.

As of December 18, Cate is 5 months old. In the past month, she's mostly continued working on the same skills she had last month, with a few new ones added in. Among her favorite things to do now are to stand up as much as possible (with us holding her, obviously) and to try to sit up on her own (which she is not good at). She still hasn't rolled over again since she did it shortly after 3 months, at least not front to back. She's more or less made it from back to front, though, mostly because she was chasing after a pacifier. Don't get between this kid and a pacifier.

Cate has also been working on grabbing toys and getting them into her mouth as fast as possible. She's obviously teething, though there are no signs of actual teeth yet. But the drool and the constant chewing are dead giveaways. She's started to join us at the table at dinnertime, sitting up in her high chair with a tray full of toys to chew while we eat. She's watching us eat with a lot of interest, too, but we'll be waiting at least another month to get her started on solid foods, so for now, she just gets to watch.

She's still a super smiley and happy baby and is a little more forthcoming with her laugh these days. Michaela can pretty much always get a laugh from her, but she hardly chuckles with me or Jason. She does this crazy big open mouth smile, though, that kind of serves as her laugh. It's silent, but it's bigger than her regular smile, so we'll call it a laugh.

She's NOT silent when it comes to babbling and making other noises, though. The latest and greatest is a neat pterodactyl kind of noise, this really awesome high-pitched squeaky screech thing. It's especially fun in the car. Speaking of the car, she hates it. Unless she's sleeping or has a pacifier in her mouth, we get treated to either her cough/sneeze upset noise, raspberries, this new squeaking noise, or full-on crying to let us know how upset she is to be in the car. Michaela hates it and, in fact, enjoyed a Daddy-Michaela date today that I wasn't invited on because she "needs a break from Cate." Yeah, it's that awesome.

That's pretty much the only time she gets upset, though. Well, that and if you leave the room for too long and leave her alone, which is always fun when it's time to get Michaela down for a nap and there's no one else but Fred to keep Cate occupied. Otherwise, though, she really does rarely cry or get too upset. She does what we call the death moan before going to sleep, but that's not so much that she's upset as she's just trying to go to sleep. It's funny to listen to!

I think those are the highlights. I did this month's photo shoot while Michaela was at school, so unfortunately I don't have any good sister-love pictures like last month. But I do have a few good ones of just Cate to share. I loved that she was grabbing her feet a bunch during the shoot. I mentioned last month that she was doing that, but she had stopped for a while and just picked it back up in the last week of so. She's actually been sticking her toes in her mouth - apparently they make a good teething toy. She also seemed to realize that Tigger was right next to her finally this month. My big challenge in doing the shoot without Michaela was that there was no one besides me to look at and get her attention away from Tigger. So it was a little tough to get shots of her actually looking at me! But I caught a few good ones, so I couldn't decide which one to share, and chose three. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment