Monday, December 17, 2012

Day 352 - December 17

All of a sudden today, I realized that Michaela's last day of Mom's Day Out is Wednesday. And at the top of my cookie gift list are her teachers.

Oh, and I also need to bring cookies for her party at school Wednesday, too.

And yet I hadn't started my baking at all as of 2:30 this afternoon.

As of 9:30 tonight, I had the cookies done for the party, one batch of "Christmas crack" done (saltine toffee bark), all the "slice n bakes" (they used to be slice and bake... now they're just "plop on the tray and bake) done, and two more batches of pistachio cranberry shortbreads mixed and chilling in the fridge. Tomorrow I bake at least one batch of the short breads and mix and bake at least one batch of peanut blossoms. Then I'll at least have enough done for the teachers and I can do the rest through the rest of the week.

All that to say that one of my favorite tools to use for chopping stuff (I had to chop pistachios and cranberries for the shortbreads) is my handy-dandy trusty ulu knife. I found it's not as helpful at large quantities of pistachios as another chopper I have, but it's fantastic for a rough chop on the dried cranberries. So it's gotten quite the workout in the last few weeks.

Another reason to be happy for our time in Alaska... I would've never known that the ulu knife was a thing if we hadn't lived there!


No comments:

Post a Comment