Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 200 - July 19

Two hundred days?? Two hundred pictures (plus some bonuses)! Go me!!

Today is about Michaela's birthday, take 4 (or 5 or something... kid's already learned the beauty of the birthday week/month).

I (I should say "we" since I conned Jason into taking the morning off so I had help) hosted playgroup at my house this morning so we could do a little something more for Michaela's birthday. Although our mini-party on Saturday was really fun, I thought it would be nice to do something with her playgroup friends. Essentially, it was just kids (and moms) swimming, a "Happy Birthday" banner and some decorations hanging from the patio umbrella, and some festive snacks.

By "festive snacks," I mean cake balls. This was my first attempt at making them. As I've mentioned before, I am not a baker, with the exception of cookies at Christmas and the occasional boxed quick-bread mix. But I thought these would be perfect since the only baking necessary is a boxed cake mix. Little did I know how much *cough* fun (and by "fun" I mean "pain in the $%#") it would be to coat them in the melted chocolate once they were rolled. Ugh.

But they looked good in the end, and they tasted phenomenal, even though I stayed safe and did vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. If there's a next time, I'm branching out to carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Or devil's food cake with chocolate frosting. Or I'm going to figure out how to make peanut butter frosting and use that with chocolate cake. Or I'm never making these again.


No comments:

Post a Comment