Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 44 - February 13

I took a photography workshop this past weekend with Amy Earle of Simply b Photos. Amy has taken all of our family pictures since shortly after Michaela was born, right from the beginning of her business. She is so incredibly talented and I love that she's pretty much self-taught and takes pictures not just as a professional, but as a mom. Although I've taken a photography course already that taught me the basics of shooting in manual, it was nice to have it all reinforced and to get another perspective on the art of taking pictures.

All that to say that two of the things Amy talks about are catching the little moments and catching the details. I try to do that a lot anyway, usually with my ever-present iPhone armed with Instagram, but I think I'm going to push myself to do it more. I'm good about it with Cate, but I need to catch Michaela's details, too.

This morning I caught some of Cate's details, though.... a moment when it was just the two of us out in the living room after a restless night of sleep. Her fever broke sometime in the early hours of the morning, but her stuffy nose kept her (and me) from sleeping well. I think we both gave up trying so we came out to the living room while Michaela rested in her room (I love that she recognized she was too grumpy to get up yet).

This was the moment when, although she still wasn't feeling very well, she was trying to get back to herself, playing with her wubbanub and doing the usual - trying to get the tag into her mouth. And I caught the details of her dimpled hands, her chubby cheeks, and her steely concentration on such an important thing in the little world of my almost-7-month-old.




No comments:

Post a Comment