Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 150 - May 30

I didn't spend Memorial Day doing anything Memorial Day-ish. No parades. No cemetery ceremonies. Not even a cookout. (Well, we did have friends over for s'mores tonight, and a friend over for swimming and food cooked outside yesterday, but neither was a big to-do.) I kind of liked it that way, though. I had time think about what Memorial Day is really about.... to remember and give thanks for all those who have served our country and either lost their lives in the line of duty, or were lucky enough to survive service and live long, happy lives.

Besides that, and on a much lighter note, the other order of business today was to make up a big pot of spaghetti sauce and a batch of meatballs. It's not often that I go through the process of making real sauce. Usually, I'll either use a jar of Canale's sauce, or chop up a can of Italian diced tomatoes and call that sauce. And I've only ever made meatballs one other time.

But, a friend recently had a baby, and I was excited to whip up an easy meal to bring over to her and her husband so they had one less thing to worry about. Coincidentally enough, the last time I made meatballs was for another friend who had a baby!

Anywho... all that to just get to a pretty boring picture.... Early stages of homemade sauce. This is the best part - olive oil, butter, tons of garlic, tons of parsley, chopped tomatoes and oregano. The smell that comes out of the pot is truly amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment