Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 101 - April 11

It's officially spring.

Well, it has been for a while, but I'm calling it official now because we got our first basket of local produce from our CSA farm today!

Along with a head of bok choy, a head of napa cabbage, some broccoli, and some kale, we got two of these things. At first, I thought they were beets because of the greens (which I cut off) and the color. But when I cut the greens off, there was no red juice everywhere and I got confused.

Thankfully, I posted on facebook to see if anyone wanted our beets, so a friend could tell me that we didn't get beets, we got kohlrabi.

So, this is kohlrabi. It has a little bit of a broccoli flavor to it, but the texture is sort of like an apple, or an artichoke heart. I ate one raw tonight and it was pretty tasty. The other one is going to be sauteed in coconut oil and garlic. We'll see how that goes.

And I'm excepting any good recipes for bok choy or napa cabbage. I think I'll be making a giant stir fry.


No comments:

Post a Comment