Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 255 - September 11

To start off, I can't blog on this date without acknowledging this somber anniversary. On September 11, 2001, I was XO of the cutter STATEN ISLAND, stationed in Atlantic Beach, NC. We were at the range that morning, completing out semi-annual weapons qualifications when I called Jason (who was stationed in Florida at flight school) during a break, only to find out the news that a planes had flown into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, though no one knew for sure that it was a terror attack. We ended up finishing up our range time and then got underway later that day, with no real plan in place for what we were going to do. We stayed busy for a couple of weeks, learning the new "homeland security" mission as we went along, and trying to catch bits and pieces of news as we could. It wasn't until we got back from that trip that we all got an idea of exactly how devastating the attacks were. And the world hasn't been the same since. Today I remember all the innocent lives lost that day, the heroes who risked or gave their lives to save others, and the families who feel that keen loss still. And I'm thankful for the people who work every day to prevent another catastrophic attack. Never forget.


Getting back to something a little lighter.... today I had a cling-on, in the form of an almost-8-wk-old baby. She did NOT want to sleep anywhere besides in my arms. I tried the swing (the go-to device) even, but had to give up when her sleep was just a little too restless. But I had things I wanted to get done during nap time (mostly I wanted to nap, but gave up on that once Cate didn't want to sleep), so I needed my hands.

Enter the Sleepy Wrap (now called a Boba Wrap due to a name change at the company). A wrap - or some other kind of carrier - is THE way to get things done on a high-needs day for a baby. She slept quite comfortably in there and I got to balance my checkbook, order a few necessities from Etsy, and do a few other odds and ends. Love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment