Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 202 - July 21

Today was a big day. Today was the day that Michaela had to say good by to her pacifier.

I'm not a huge fan of taking away things that are important or comforting to my kids. And, even though we've been talking about not having a pacifier anymore after she turned 4, she's been anxious about getting rid of it, which made it tougher for me. But we're at the point with a pacifier that it could end up affecting her mouth development, so it's time for it to go.

Months ago, I said maybe we'd go to Build-a-Bear and make a special bear and put the pacifier in it. Then she could have it with her, but just not be able to see it or suck on it. And then, Mom called me the other day to say she really wanted to do a Build-a-Bear with Michaela when she was visiting and it all came together (read, I realized M would get her special toy and I would not have to fork over the funds to do it - win-win!!)

Anxiety aside - sort of - Michaela built a bunny for herself today. She calls it Fluffy Bunny and the bunny wears jammies (since M only used her pacifier in bed) and says "I love you. I love you, when you press its hand.

Naptime didn't go very well without the pacifier, but bedtime went marginally better and this shouldn't take too long to get used to falling asleep without it. I hope.

Here she is, proudly holding her bunny's house, and posing with Grandma and Granpas Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment