Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 197 - July 16

Happy Birthday, Michaela!!!

I can not believe that my first born is four. FOUR!!

For some reason, in my head, four is WAY older than three. Like somehow there is a giant leap between those two ages. I could pretend that a three year old was still sort of a toddler. But a four year old is most definitely a pre-schooler.

I think Michaela thinks there's a big leap, too. We heard a lot of "I can do _______ now because I'm FOUR!" today. And she also decided to walk out of the Watermelon Patch this afternoon when I picked her up from camp to go to the car alone because, "I'm four today, so I'm big enough to go by myself." Yeah, there was definitely a moment of sheer panic when I couldn't find her. Whew.

She also had us laughing this morning, which she is prone to do on a regular basis with the crazy things she said, but this was just too much.

Upon wishing her happy birthday and telling her, "You're four today!" Her answer, with incredulity in her voice, was, "I'm four? I'm finally four? Right now? I'm four?!"

Then, when Jason asked her if she was excited to be four, her answer was, "Yes! I've been waiting for this ALL YEAR!"

Yep, that's generally how it works, kiddo.

So, she's four. (How the heck is she four? I swear, this just happened, like two days ago.) She's ready to start sitting forward-facing in her carseat (we could probably go a little while longer before she really outgrows the Radian rear-facing, but I asked her today and she said she really wants to turn around and start using "Cowie" (her Frontier 85 carseat with the cow print) in my car, so we'll go for it. She's also signed up for preschool starting in just about a month - actual school and not just a fun mom's day out program. Four year olds also swim without floaties at all. They "listen to you and do what you say, right, Mommy?" They take naps (thank God!). And, thanks to a birthday present, they also ride a scooter.

That brings me to the pictures for today.

For a few weeks now, she's randomly mentioned wanting a scooter. I gave her a lot of "we'll see" and "I don't know if we need that... you have a tricycle and a balance bike that you hardly use." Meanwhile, I got an awesome deal on a Kiddie Kick Razor scooter on Zulily at least a month ago. It's not the fanciest scooter, but it'll get her used to the idea and see if she likes it enough to upgrade eventually.

The best part was her reaction as she opened it. She started unwrapping and said, very tentatively, "Is that a scooter?" And she just got this concerned look on her face, and couldn't open it fast enough. Then as she got more of the paper off, she broke into a smile and said, "It IS a scooter! I got a scooter!" I love when we get the present right!






No comments:

Post a Comment