Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 309 - November 5

So let me tell you about my crazy ways.

Ok, I don't think they're crazy, but I know some people do. When we were in Kodiak, I was exposed to a more natural way of doing a lot of things and I've continued to go in that direction since we've been here in Mobile, too. (It was easier to do in Kodiak - not a whole lot of naturally-minded people down here!) I'm still pretty conventional to my "crunchy" friends, but I can be pretty "crunchy" to my more conventional friends.

One of the things that's been fairly easy for me to look into is non-pharmaceutical methods of fixing ailments (sorry, pharmacist family members!!). This was easy for me because I've never liked taking medicine anyway. But I also don't like hurting, so I've had to find some different options. Also, as a nursing mom, you have to look for different options because sometimes the medicines you might take can either diminish your milk supply, or they can be bad for the kid who gets the milk. So you learn to look for other things.

I have pretty significant sacroiliac joint pain. It got really bad when I was pregnant with Cate and it flares up pretty often. I did a two-week course of naproxen a while back (it was bad enough for me to go to the doctor AND take medicine), but it flares up all the time and I don't want to keep taking that.

Enter "golden milk." I'm going to be honest, it looks weird, tastes a little funky, and is generally one of the stranger things I've tried, but I'm hoping it'll work. Basically it's a paste made out of turmeric and water, which is cooked down and then mixed with milk, some kind of sweetener, and an oil to help coat the joints. Turmeric is a natural and powerful anti-inflammatory (among other benefits), so theoretically, it should work. Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment